#107: Grant Baldwin: Who you are is more important than what you do!
As my good friend, Brain James, who is an MC, and has a 'velvet' voice for radio says at the beginning of The Coaching Podcast, "Get ready for this high octane ride, them 'em have it, coach." Our guest today does exactly that, Grant Baldwin, talks a mile a minute and shares some pearls of wisdom from learning how to fly to picking ONE lane when it comes to investing in real estate! He does not hold back and is super clear on what you need to be successful, that is, know these two things:
1. Who do you speak to? (For coaches: Who do you coach?)
2. What problems do you solve?
Why? Because most people have a difficult time getting clear on these two things. Or in Grant's words, it's because "most people have a hard time reading the label from inside the jar."
An Exciting Announcement: Emma Doyle is releasing her new book, 'WHAT MAKES A GREAT COACH?' early in September. Therefore, in the month of August, we will be doing free Podcasts during the pre-launch period. These will be live every Thursday evening (8 pm MST, USA & 12 noon Australian Eastern Standard time) on The Coaching Cafe Podcast. Here is the link to register for FREE:
Back to this episode - get ready to take notes on the following topics;
- Best & Worst Coaching Moments: This is related to when the coach asks great questions that lead you to your own "aha" or epiphany moments for you to come to your own conclusions about a situation - which is a lot more powerful. 2:15 & 3:40
- Sliding Doors: Having a child — question everything - I'm going to become a speaker. 7:15
- 2nd Sliding Doors Moment: The power of a mentor (Lake Tahoe) — "In life, you want to find things where the challenge exceeds the skillset. 7:45
- What makes a great coach? Listening and patience (as a coach we have the curse of knowledge and so what a great reminder to remember that as beginners, everyone starts from scratch. 10:40
- What are you excited about? What's working? 12:43
- Get clarity on these two questions: Who do you speak to (this is linked to what you speak about)? What problems do you solve? 14:52
- "You want to be the steakhouse, not the buffet." 16:48
- Is it a myth - work-life balance? Ask yourself: "Is this a season, or is this the way it is?" 18:15
- Misconception: What makes a great speaker? Remember that "you are a human talking to a collection of other humans." 21:58
- When speaking to an audience share with them "here are some of the possible next steps" in order for them to create their own conclusions and best next steps. 25:44
- Be self-aware: "Most people have a hard time reading the label from inside the jar." 26:15
- What holds us back? "It is easy to overthink and overanalyze to the point that we do nothing." 26:47
- At the end of the day: "It is easier to steer a car in motion than it is to steer a car in park." 27:12
- What are some of the best ways to engage an audience? 28:12
- "Who you are is more important than what you do." 29.29
- Stay on the Podcast to the very end to hear Grant's answers to: 'What makes a great speaker?' Someone who is:
GRANT BALDWIN BIO
- Grant Baldwin Professional Speaker and Founder of The Speaker Lab.
As founder and CEO of The Speaker Lab, Grant Baldwin has helped thousands of people build successful and sustainable speaking businesses. Over the last 15 years, Grant has become a sought-after speaker, podcaster, author, and accomplished entrepreneur.
Featured on the Inc. 5000 list, Forbes, Entrepreneur, and the Huffington Post, he has committed his expertise and insight to equip others to share their meaningful message with the masses.
With a mission to motivate other leaders and entrepreneurs, The Speaker Lab has worked with students in all 50 US states and in over 45 countries around the world. In addition, his book The Successful Speaker as well as The Speaker Lab Podcast have impacted thousands of speakers at all levels. His leadership and dedication to creating a one-of-a-kind organizational culture are evidenced by the impact of the team he leads.
Grant’s favorite moments are those spent with his high school sweetheart, Sheila, and their three daughters. They live in Nashville, Tennessee.
This episode was sponsored by LUCKY IN LOVE. Here is the link to shop for
http://shopluckyinlove.com/discount/DOYLE20 Discount code is: DOYLE20 to get 20% off all of your golfing and tennis gear for women and kids:
Follow - @Shopluckyinlove on Instagram. Thank you to the #luckinlovefam