Leadership Coach #136: Allan Sicard - Create environments for committed people to thrive
Allan Sicard is an Author, Podcaster (The Courage to Lead), Speaker, Leadership Coach, and Former Police Commander whose experience you can count on. Allan is a leader who measures himself by how many other leaders he creates. In this episode, Allan shares his approach to empowering others by bringing committed people together in a supportive and inclusive environment. You will learn about his methodology to tackle homelessness in Sydney as well as the steps that he and his team took during high-pressure (life and death) situations.
Some of the highlights include;
- 1.48: Best coaching moment: Police Commander for the Mosman Collar Bomb in 2011 - With the right preparation and great people, anything is possible.
- 6.32: Worst coaching moment: In his early days, he used to lead from the front. Nowadays, he recognizes that you have to build a team around you and empower and equip them with leadership skills.
- 9.11: Sliding Doors: Being part of the solution to homelessness. If you approach a problem with a group of committed people and drop the ego, you can literally change the world.
- 13.07: What makes a Great Coach? (Empower, support, and include)
- 13:48: "The measure of a leader is about how many other leaders they create."
- 14.10: Human beings need three things;
- 1) Belonging (inclusive)
- 2) Autonomy around their own direction
- 3) Support (Coaching)
- How can you create learning and safe environments where people are allowed to make mistakes?
- 16.44: In three words or less what makes a great coach and a great leader? (Emma: Energy, Empathy, and Enjoyment)
- 18.27: Life and Death scenarios require structure, order, and everyone knowing their role in order to thrive under pressure.
- 24.21: About Allan's book: The Courage to Lead
- Lesson 1) Learn to forgive yourself
- Lesson 2) It's never over until you say it's over
- Lesson 3) Create a strong, formidable, and united team
- Lesson 4) Then if the team's goal is to create a supportive, inclusive, and fun environment, you can achieve anything
The Coaching Podcast is sponsored by The Sampson Agency - a talent entertainment and sports management company owned and operated by Tina Samara.
About Allan Sicard
Allan Sicard is an Author, Podcaster, Speaker, Leadership Coach, and Former Police Commander whose experience you can count on. Allan was a member of the NSW Police Force from 1980 - 2020 performing the role of Police Commander for the last 15 years. His specialty is empowering others to create a workplace where people feel supported and included, ensuring everyone can do their absolute best. Using this approach, Allan has successfully led a number of planned and unplanned major events in the Sydney Metropolitan Region.
- Such unplanned events included:
- Police Commander for the Mosman Collar Bomb in 2011
- Forward Police Commander of the Lindt Cafe Siege for the 1st 2 hours in 2015
- Planned Events were:
- Police Forward CommanderRoyal Visit by HRH Prince Harry and Princess Meghan @Taronga Zoo working with British Security Services
- Vice President Joe Biden visit @ Taronga Zoo working with American Secret Service
- China Presidential visit by Xi Jinping residential phase at The Rocks, Sydney
- Police Commander Sydney Marathon for 7 years at the time of and post Boston Marathon Bombings
- City to Surf
- Vivid Sydney for 3 years Multiple high-risk Premier League Soccer games Capacity Cricket, AFL, ARU, NRL games at Sydney Cricket Ground
- Cold Play concerts Music Festivals at Randwick Race Course and Centennial Park
- Forward Police Commander Sydney Mardi Gras 4 years -
- George Street and Hyde Park 9 years @ of North Sydney Sector for New Year's Eve influencing change from Alcohol-Free to Ticketed event in command of 550+police working with stakeholders across 8 precincts
You can connect with Allan below or purchase his book via this link: https://allansicard.com/the-book