Leadership Team Coach #144: Charmian Tardieu - Slow Down & Choose Courage over Comfort
Welcome to another enlightening episode of The Coaching Podcast. In this episode, we embark on a journey to uncover the elusive joy and the art of reconnecting with what truly matters. Our exploration takes us through the domains of courage, curiosity, and connection, and we learn how these qualities are essential for personal growth. The gift of mindfulness takes center stage as we delve into the power of being present for ourselves and others. Moreover, we delve into the fascinating realm of the Enneagram, a tool that helps us understand our deepest motivations. Our guest, Charmian Tardieu, a seasoned leadership team coach, and strategist, shares her wisdom on creating psychological safety, fostering empathy, and inspiring positive change. Join us as we navigate through these profound concepts, gaining insights that can transform not only our professional lives but also our personal well-being.
Here is a summary of the key points;
- 2.03: Worst coaching moment: Coaching your client's husband. Trust that the coachee knows best (be mindful of your own emotions as a coach).
- 5.21: Best coaching moment: No amount of self-improvement will make up for any lack of self-acceptance.
- 9.22: Sliding Doors: Being pushed out of the golden cage and choosing courage over comfort. Just keep going, believe in your dreams and it may just turn out to be the best decision of your life.
- 15.31: What Makes a Great Coach? 3 C's
- Connection - Create a space where the coachee feels truly heard, accepted, loved, safe, and that they belong.
- Curiosity - Have a genuine curiosity (the opposite of judgment). You trust that the coachee is creative and resourceful.
- Courage - Have the courage and tap into your intuition to interrupt the coachee and stop them in their story and get them out of their heads (tap into how the body is feeling). Work through the emotion that is behind the story.
- 20.23: How do we create lasting change?
- 23.25: Paint a compelling picture of what you want to achieve to help solidify your habits in order to create lasting change. You must have a powerful WHY!
- Atomic Habits by James Clear
- "You don't rise to the level of your goals, you fall to the level of your systems."
- 25.25: Enneagram Profile - The Enneagram of Personality, or simply the Enneagram, is a description of the human psyche principally understood and taught by its proponents as a typology of nine interconnected personality types.
- 28.39: Integrative9 for the Enneagram as mentioned by Charmian as her favorite to help you understand what drives you - Follow the link below to take the test and receive a report: https://www.integrative9.com/
- 29.00: What is psychological safety? Cricial in today's workplace and it is about giving everyone a space and a voice at the table (even if what I say is not what others want to hear).
- Amy Edmondson – the Harvard Professor who is the world expert on psychological safety – plus her amazing book “The fearless organization”:
- A team must design a practice for psychological safety - one that they can hold each other accountable to.
- 32.43: What are the antidotes for workplace behaviors that inhibit psychological safety? For example;
- Instead of blaming - what's the 2% truth?
- Defensiveness, and stonewalling (horseman quadrants)
- Design a conflict protocol for your team. How do we want to work with each other? How can we keep each other accountable?
- 36.29: Mindfulness Exercise called: Anchor Breathing for 4, 7, 8 seconds (be relaxed, comfortable, and alert)
The Coaching Podcast is sponsored by The Sampson Agency - a talent entertainment and sports management company owned and operated by Tina Samara.
About Charmian Tardieu
Charmian Tardieu is a leadership team coach and strategist who helps companies grow by developing empathy and insight. She helps teams and individuals tap into a deeper understanding of themselves and others so that they can work together more effectively. She is an expert on psychological safety and focuses on creating safe spaces where all can flourish and fulfill their potential. She is also known as “The Joy Coach” for her ability to bring about positive change in people and businesses. Before starting her own company MilesFurther in 2002, she had a successful career as a strategist in advertising agencies in the UK, Germany, and the US. Her last position was Senior Vice President of a global agency in LA.
Becoming a single mother of Miles at the end of 2001 along with a few other challenges, she left her beloved LA with a heavy heart but with a new purpose for a fresh start in Germany. Her dream was to take others MilesFurther, hence the name of the company she started all those years ago. It was a dream of helping big corporations develop more emotional insight and greater creativity, getting teams to open their hearts and minds to fresh perspectives. It was often a rocky ride as a single Mum in a foreign country, but the dream came true and both Miles and MilesFurther are truly thriving, both now 21 years old. MilesFurther is based in Hamburg but works internationally with companies such as Beiersdorf (NIVEA), P&G, Philips, Jägermeister, and Siemens Healthineers. Charmian is a qualified coach (CPCC, ACC, ORSC) and an Enneagram practitioner (Integrative9) who has created her own three-pillar team development program which brings measurable improvement in psychological safety and team performance, as well as helping people in big corporations find more joy, purpose and connection with each other every day.